SSC MOCK TEST I
(Model Questions for the English (Pass/Hons-PG) candidates of West Bengal School Service Commission Test))
[ FULL MARKS 10X2 = 20 MARKS EACH QUESTION CARRIES 2 MARKS]
ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS.
- ‘Thus Nature spake—The work was done’. What work does the poet refer to here? How did Nature speak?
- ‘Take back the hope you give—I claim only the memory of the same.’
Who is the speaker here? Under what circumstances does he utter these words?
- What is meant by ‘the ancient pulse of germ and birth’?
- Explain the expression “busy idle diversion”.
- ‘ The building is building.’ Change the voice.
- Correct the following sentence and explain: In the classroom one of the boy raised the question of the faults inherent in the examination system.
- Correct the following sentence and explain the reason: On the way to go to Calcutta I saw an airport.
- ‘…I would ne’er have striven
As thus with thee in prayer in my sore need.’
What does the poet want to mean by ‘sore need’?
- ‘ Like a poet
Hidden in the light of thought,’
Explain the simile introduced by the poet here.
- Explain the phrase ‘empty vaunt’ in Shelley’s To a Skylark.
- ‘ But in the lovers ears alone
What once to me befell.’ What is the incident referred to here?
- ‘The land’s sharp features seemed to be
The Century’s Corpse out leant.’ What does the expression ‘ Century’s corpse’ stand for?
- ‘Thou lovest—but ne’er knew love’s sad satiety’. What does the poet want to mean by ‘love’s sad satiety’?
- What is the ‘blessed hope’ that the poet speaks of in The Darkling Thrush?
- Correct the following sentence: The Macmillan printed Tagore’s Geetanjali on papers first in England.
- ‘ ‘Tis past, that melancholy dream!’ What is the ‘melancholy dream’ spoken of here? How did it come to an end?
- Correct the following sentence: When the moon comes between the earth and the sun, her shadow causes lunar eclipse.
- Correct the following sentence: The practices of the lawyers vary from those of the doctors.
- How does Lamb describe the loss of his brother?
- Why does Shelley seek inspiration from the West Wind in order to refer to the resurrection in the human society?